[IPython-user] using with emacs

Stefan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Sat Jun 3 19:41:36 CDT 2006

On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 05:35:50PM -0600, Fernando Perez wrote:
> On 6/3/06, Stefan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za> wrote:
> > Strange, I believe you also run a fairly recent install of Dapper?
> > Krishna's trick breaks IPython on my machine too (and I verified with
> > the latest SVN just now).
>
> Yes, I'm running a fully up-to-date dapper here.
>
> I seem to remember you run GNOME, while I use KDE.  Try Krishna's
> trick inside konsole, and see what happens.  I just opened
> gnome-terminal, and this is what I get:

OK, so gnome-terminal causes the character corruption.  Unfortunately,
I see the repeated "Do you want to exit?" messages in konsole as well.

> - open in emacs a shell with M-x shell, and run ipython there.  What
> happens?  Also, echo $SHELL in there, this is what I get:

Nothing strange, except for the ANSI characters not being recognised.

> - in ipython, try:
>
> import os;print os.environ['TERM']

Inside emacs I have 'dumb', and inside gnome-terminal and konsole I
have 'xterm'.

> - test the echo ""|ipython trick in various terminals.  Here are my
>   results:
>
>  * konsole, xterm, rxvt: all OK
>
>  * gnome-terminal: broken prompts (shown above).

All terminals react the same (except for gnome-terminal which causes
the corruption).

I also moved my ~/.ipython directory away, and that doesn't help
either.  Since I am now now no closer to solving this, I think I am
coming to the realisation that having "Do you really want to exit
([y]/n)?"  printed exactly 20 times on my screen, under rare
conditions, is something I can probably live with.

Cheers
Stéfan