[IPython-user] using with emacs

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 19:48:37 CDT 2006

On 6/3/06, Stefan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 05:35:50PM -0600, Fernando Perez wrote:

> > - test the echo ""|ipython trick in various terminals.  Here are my
> >   results:
> >
> >  * konsole, xterm, rxvt: all OK
> >
> >  * gnome-terminal: broken prompts (shown above).
>
> All terminals react the same (except for gnome-terminal which causes
> the corruption).
>
> I also moved my ~/.ipython directory away, and that doesn't help
> either.  Since I am now now no closer to solving this, I think I am
> coming to the realisation that having "Do you really want to exit
> ([y]/n)?"  printed exactly 20 times on my screen, under rare
> conditions, is something I can probably live with.

Ah, got it:  I have in my ipythonrc

confirm_exit 0

by default.  I can't stand programs asking me stuff all the time.

If I set it to 1, now I do see that bizarre string of 'do you want to
exit' things.  Note that under Emacs, it exits fine, I only see the
exit storm using Krisna's pipe call.

I'll see if I can fix it, I think I know what's going on.