[IPython-user] using with emacs

Stefan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Sat Jun 3 20:14:03 CDT 2006

On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 07:03:45PM -0600, Fernando Perez wrote:
> On 6/3/06, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > One more thing.  I have these two in my emacs config:
> >
> > (require 'ansi-color)
> > (ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on)
> >
> > Do they help?
> >
> > Perhaps we should include them /inside/ ipython.el...
>
> Well, ipython.el does include them already...
>
> But I do see a difference if I comment them out in shell emacs
> buffers: 'ls --color' gives me all sorts of garbage without them, and
> produces correctly colored output when they are active (tested in both
> emacs and xemacs).

You are right -- I got excited too soon.  This *does* fix my shell,
which is great.  But I can still reproduce last week's problem:

1. $ emacs /tmp/blah.py where blah.py is empty
2. type "123"
3. type C-c C-c

Then I see a screen full of ansi garbage (irrespective of whether I
have ansi settings in .emacs).  If, however, I first start ipython
using C-c !, and then do C-c C-c, it works fine.

Cheers
Stéfan