[IPython-user] [IPython-dev] Release of pyreadline 1.3

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 20:17:34 CDT 2006

On 6/2/06, Andrew Straw <strawman at astraw.com> wrote:
> Fernando Perez wrote:
>
> >On 6/2/06, Andrew Straw <strawman at astraw.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Is pyreadline a Windows-only thing?
> >>

> >Yes, the *nices have the real readline.  Well, in OSX I think it needs
> >to be added by hand b/c Apple doesn't really ship it by default, but
> >at least it exists.  Under Win32, until UNC readline came along,
> >ipython was kind of crippled (not tab, no arrow-history, no
> >colors,...).
> >

> Right, but isn't the "real readline" GPL, which prevents even some
> packagers of Python on *nices and OSX (which I guess is a *nix) from
> including readline? (Isn't that the most likely explanation for Apple
> not shipping it?) Anyhow, I'm just totally ignorant and curious here. I
> thought I remembered reading about how a cross-platform
> BSD-license-esque pyreadline would solve these issues. I guess that's
> next version. :)

Yes, that's exactly the problem.  For OSX, users can download it by
hand, since it does exist (it's documented in various OSX fora).  What
I meant was that for *nix, you /can/ get readline, which doesn't
really exist for win32 at all.  I should have been more precise there.

As far as a python-only readline, I'm sure patches are welcome :)