[IPython-user] sh profile should preserve the reserved python words

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 19:03:59 CDT 2006

On 6/4/06, Krishna Mohan Gundu <gkmohan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> ipython -p sh
> [ipython]|1> import math
>
> fails on my system due to conflict with ImageMagic "import" command.
> Should require explicit calling (%import) to run the ImageMagick
> command even with automagic on. Possibly there can be many such
> conflicits unknowingly.

Mmh, that's very odd.  Please post a full traceback, it works just fine here:

longs[~]> ip -p sh
Py 2.4.3 (#2, Apr 27 2006, 14:43:58)  IPy 0.7.2
[~]|1> import math
[~]|2> math.sin(math.pi)
   <2> 1.2246063538223773e-16
[~]|3>

ipython does avoid aliasing all builtins and keywords, precisely to
prevent this kind of problem, so I'm not sure what's going on in your
system.