[IPython-user] auto exit when a job is done

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 21:06:23 CDT 2006

On 6/4/06, Krishna Mohan Gundu <gkmohan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of my questions went unanswered from a previous post. When run as
> "ipython some.ipy", I think the shell should exit, as in "python
> some.py", or atleast have a flag to force the behavior. What do you
> think?

I tend to agree, but I'll leave it to Ville to handle this one: the
.ipy support is his baby, so I think it's best if he makes the call
there.

If ipython is going to support running 'ipython scripts', then I do
think we should follow python convention:

ipython foo.ipy -> run and exit
ipython -i foo.ipy -> run and interact at the end.

There's already an ignored -i flag in ipython, we'd just need to
actually use it.

But note that regardless of the outcome of this discussion, this is
0.7.3 material.  I just want that nasty -p sh bug fixed for 0.7.2 so
we can release (we've been holding this release for quite a while
already, and at this point new features will just mean new bugs :)