[IPython-user] IPython 0.7.2 is out.

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 13:19:56 CDT 2006

On 6/22/06, Nathan <frizop at gmail.com> wrote:
> IPython crashes on me every time I preform the following key
> combination.
>
> In [1]: import re
>
> In [2]: r = re.compile(r'.*')
>
> In [3]: r = Bus errore(r'.*')
>
> and it crashes, I am trying to complete the following text,
>
> I use the following key combination, ctrl+r, type: 're', down arrow,
> right arrow, return.

On what platform (hardware/OS) is this?  Python version?  The same
combination works fine for me.  Given that ipython has no C code at
all, it can't directly segfault.  From your description, this is a bug
in the underlying readline library (which ipython does call into).
I've reported readline bugs in the past, but to my knowledge all have
been fixed in the current python release; if you can reproduce this
reliably, and with a current readline version, you should report it to
the python bug tracker (they are getting ready for the 2.5 release).

> I tried to join the list on SF, but for whatever reason it wasn't
> working. Could you pass this along?

Well, there have never been any ipython lists at SF, so that would be
why you couldn't make it work.  The ipython homepage has all the links
to the mailing lists, here again: