[IPython-user] ipython prevents sys.last_traceback (etc.) from being set?

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Fri Mar 10 03:48:20 CST 2006

On Mar 9, 2006, at 11:51 PM, Ville Vainio wrote:

> On 3/10/06, Zachary Pincus <zpincus at stanford.edu> wrote:
>
>> I therefore suggest that (regardless of what is done about
>> sys.last_traceback) the magic %pdb command be extended to have a '.pm
>> ()' option that will dump the user into the enhanced pdb shell for
>> whatever the latest traceback is. On python2.5, this will be easy
>> because you can use the exc_info to get the traceback in a thread-
>> safe manner.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> Yes, could you find the time to provide a patch?

Definitely not until there's some discussion of the thread-safety
issues involved, which I don't fully understand, and probably not
until someone can give me some pretty detailed pointers as to where
to look in the ipython code to add the patch and how best such a
patch should be implemented. I'm no ipython expert, and in truth I'm
too busy right now to become one.

Zach