[IPython-user] <dir> alias, and using %edit

John Salerno johnjsal at rcn.com
Sun Mar 12 21:11:02 CST 2006

Hi everyone. I just started using IPython and I have two questions. The
first concerns the dir alias. Every time I start IPython, I get a message at
the top of the console window that says "Deleting alias <dir>, it's a Python
keyword or built-in." Is this normal? Is there a way to prevent this from
happening, or remove it altogether?

Second concerns using %edit to open an external editor. After a little
trouble getting it to work with Ultra-Edit, I realized that I needed to put
quotes around the parts of the path that contained spaces:

C:\"Program Files"\"IDM Computer Solutions"\Ultra-Edit\uedit32.exe

This now opens UE, but it also tries to open files with names equal to the
values after each space, i.e. Files, Computer, and Solutions. Is there a way
to fix this?

I'm using Windows XP.

Thanks,
John