[IPython-user] <dir> alias, and using %edit

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Sun Mar 12 21:24:50 CST 2006

John Salerno wrote:
> Hi everyone. I just started using IPython and I have two questions. The
> first concerns the dir alias. Every time I start IPython, I get a message at
> the top of the console window that says "Deleting alias <dir>, it's a Python
> keyword or built-in." Is this normal? Is there a way to prevent this from
> happening, or remove it altogether?

I'll leave it to our windows experts to help with this one, since I don't use
win32 at all.

> Second concerns using %edit to open an external editor. After a little
> trouble getting it to work with Ultra-Edit, I realized that I needed to put
> quotes around the parts of the path that contained spaces:
>
> C:\"Program Files"\"IDM Computer Solutions"\Ultra-Edit\uedit32.exe
>
> This now opens UE, but it also tries to open files with names equal to the
> values after each space, i.e. Files, Computer, and Solutions. Is there a way
> to fix this?

What happens if you try instead to set the editor variable to:

"C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\Ultra-Edit\uedit32.exe"

with a single set of quotes around the whole thing?  I think that should work.

Note that this page:

http://showmedo.com/videoListPage?listKey=PythonIPythonSeries

has some mini-videos about using ipython in a win32 environment.  You may find
them useful.

Regards,