[IPython-user] beginner's question

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Thu Mar 16 16:35:25 CST 2006

I just started with IPython. (OS 10.4.5 on both PPC and Intel;
MacPython 2.4.1; wxPython 2.6.) I'm having a little trouble with the
wxPython connection. Here's (I'm sure) a very simple question from a
non-Unix-savvy newbie:

It was not true at first, but is true now, that on my PPC PowerBook
if I start with 'ipython' all is well, but if I start with 'ipython -
wthread' I get the message
		This program needs access to the screen. Please run with 'pythonw',
not 'python',
		and only when you are logged in on the main display of your Mac.
After that if I give any keypress except ann immediately ctrl-D, then
I can only quit by closing the Terminal. This doesn't happen on the
Intel machine, but since it didn't originally happen on the PPC one I
doubt that's the issue. I know that "python" and "pythonw" both point
to scripts in /usr/local/bin (as does "ipython"), but I don't know
enough to see the next step. If it matters, 'env' shows nearly
identical results on the two machines.

Thanks for any guidance.

Charles Hartman
Professor of English, Poet in Residence