[IPython-user] autoindentation problem in emacs

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Sat Mar 25 02:31:03 CST 2006

SK wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using ipython-mode from emacs and I noticed that the
> autoindentation behaves differently in ipython under emacs and under xterm.

> Any idea what is wrong?

Autoindent, as done by ipython, needs readline which is not available under
emacs.  For this to work, it would have to be added on the emacs side of
things (ipython.el).  That's a task for an elisp hacker, which I'm not.

With autoindent on, internally it does work:

In [1]: for i in (1,2):
    ...: print i
    ...:
    ...:
1
2

In [2]: history
1:
for i in (1,2):
     print i

but it's confusing because you don't see those indentations on screen.

Sorry not to have a solution, but if an enterprising elisp coder knows how to
fix this, patches are welcome.