[IPython-user] no output in ipython under emacs...

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Sat Mar 25 16:37:47 CST 2006

SK wrote:

> So the conlusion is that when executing a region from a file.py buffer (case 2),
> I get no output which is quite confusing in comparison to the same command typed
> in ipython buffer.
>
> Should it work like that?

Yes, that's how the language works: if you want to see output, you need to
print it:

print some_result

On the interactive console, you get the value of the output printed for you,
strictly as a convenience.  You should not confuse what an interactive console
does in trying to be convenient to use, with what the core language itself is.

Regards,