[IPython-user] pyreadline question

Jörgen Stenarson jorgen.stenarson at bostream.nu
Fri Mar 31 14:30:24 CST 2006

Michael Foord skrev:
> Michael Foord wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm updating Movable Python and am including pyreadline.
>>
>> First of all the instructions on installing from subversion seem to
>> include an incorrect step.
>>
>>  From http://projects.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/wiki/PyReadline/Intro
>>
>>     "copy pyreadlineconfig.ini from pyreadline-egg/pyreadline/config"
>>
>> After running ``setup.py install`` I have a ``pyreadline/configuration``
>> directory which contains the ini file, but no ``pyreadline-egg``
>> directory and no ``config`` directory. I assume this is the right file
>> anyway.
>>
>> The instructions say to copy this file to "your homedir". Movable Python
>> is intended to be run from a USB stick on arbitrary computers, so I
>> would like to be able to specify an alternative location for this file.
>> How do I do this ?
>>
>> I don't mind patching the distribution, but I would prefer a better
>> solution.

Michael,
I have attached patches to ipython and pyreadline that should make it
possible to set your own path to the configfile.

I had to make some backwards incompatible changes to how pyreadline is
started. Now the recommended way is to "import readline" to initialize
pyreadline, if you want to set the config_path do:

import pyreadline.rlmain
pyreadline.rlmain.config_path=r"c:\xxx\pyreadlineconfig.ini"

before "import readline".

Ville will have to decide on how he wants to expose this in ipython. A
workaround for now is to add those two lines before "import IPython" in
the ipython.py startup script.

I'll hold off comitting the pyreadline_config patch until I hear from
Ville. So I can apply the patch to pyreadline after the patch to ipython
to avoid having a pyreadline that will not work with ipython.

/Jörgen