[IPython-user] ipython.el / xemacs / mac os x question

belinda thom bthom at cs.hmc.edu
Sun Nov 19 05:02:30 CST 2006

Hello,

I've installed ipython (via macports), xemacs (via macports, w/
sumo,mule,carbon variants), and python24 (also via macports) on my G5
(running OS X 10.4.8).

My ultimate goal is to be able to use ipython in conjunction w/xemacs
so I can "find and fix bugs" more efficiently (as described in
ipython.el). I also need help access and the ability to correct
syntax issues.

I've installed a recent version of python-mode.el (v 4.75) and have
been able to use ipython.el to do basic pdb debugging (setting pdb to
1 inside of .ipython/ipythonrc). However, I am not able to:

-------

1) access python help via xmeacs via py-shell buffer. I've taken care
to set PYTHONDOCS. Running ipython from a terminal window works:

In [1]: help('if')
[...snip...]
In [2]: os.getenv('PYTHONDOCS')
Out[2]: '/Users/bthom/Documents/Python-Docs-2.4.3'

but from an xeamcs py-shell buffer it does not:

In [1]: Help('If')
In [2]: print os.getenv('PYTHONDOCS')
None

--------

2) correct syntax errors on the fly. Loading a file w/a problem into
the py-shell in xemacs asks me if I'd like to correct, but I'm unable
to do so, e.g.:
    File "test.py", line 5
      import math *
                  ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
Return to editor to correct syntax error? [Y/n]  Y
E437: terminal capability "cm" required
Hit ENTER or type command to continue

I get something similar when I try and run %edit: the "cm" complaint.
When this complaint is issued, I've not figured out how to recover; I
end up killing py-shell and restarting.

---------

Thanks for your consideration.

--b