[IPython-user] ipython.el / xemacs / mac os x question

Jouni K Seppanen jks at iki.fi
Tue Nov 21 08:29:24 CST 2006

  [Sorry if this is a duplicate; I sent essentially the same message
  yesterday, but it didn't seem to make it to the list.]

belinda thom <bthom at cs.hmc.edu> writes:

> 1) access python help via xmeacs via py-shell buffer. I've taken care
> to set PYTHONDOCS. Running ipython from a terminal window works:
[...]
> but from an xeamcs py-shell buffer it does not:
>
> In [1]: Help('If')
> In [2]: print os.getenv('PYTHONDOCS')
> None

You have probably set PYTHONDOCS in one of your shell's dotfiles, and
it is not inherited by the XEmacs you start from outside the shell.
You could try to:

 1) add (setenv "PYTHONDOCS" "/Users/bthom/Documents/Python-Docs-2.4.3")
    to your .xemacs/init.el
 2) create a ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist file; see
    http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1067.html
 3) if you use SSHKeyChain, modify the environment using it
    (I think this just modifies the environment.plist file)

> Return to editor to correct syntax error? [Y/n]  Y
> E437: terminal capability "cm" required

This happens to me if I run M-x shell in XEmacs and start up vi within
the shell. Funnily, it first complains about the terminal but then
starts up anyway. Somehow you'll have to tell ipython to use the same
XEmacs as the editor; hopefully someone on this list is more
knowledgeable about ipython.el than I am. (Perhaps just set the editor
to gnuclient?)

> I get something similar when I try and run %edit: the "cm" complaint.
> When this complaint is issued, I've not figured out how to recover; I
> end up killing py-shell and restarting.

If it is indeed vi that starts up, try typing :q! and Enter.

--
Jouni