[IPython-user] ipython1 problem?

Flavio Coelho fccoelho at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 08:55:49 CST 2006

Thanks Fernando,

I thinks this arrangement looks fine. The only change I can think of is to
handle the errors that end up in the logs in such a way that the user also
gets informed of them.

In my example, if you hadn't pointed me to the logs I wouldn't have figured
out what was going on. The ipcluster script should output a dignostic of the
whole startup process, or at least spit out some meaningful error messages.
What do you think about it?

Flávio

On 11/21/06, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/21/06, Brian Granger <ellisonbg.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It looks like the engines are starting but are not finding the
> > controller you have running.  Things to check:
> >
> > 1.  Do you have a firewall blocking ports on the controller's computer?
> >
> > 2.  Did you tell the engines where the controller is running:
> >
> > ipengine --controller-ip=[ip of the machine running the controller]
> >
> > Another way of finding out what is going on is to start the
> > ipcontroller and ipengine with the -l flags:
> >
> > ipcontroller -l cont
> > ipengine -l eng
> >
> > These will cause the log files to be written to disk in the format:
> >
> > contpid.log
> > engpig.log
>
> Also, note that if you are using ipcluster to start things, it makes
> all logs go to
>
> ~/.ipython/ipcluster-PID1-{con|eng}-HOST-PID2.log
>
> where:
>
> - PID1: PID of the starting process (the ipcluster script).  This
> simply allows you to have a common lexicographical sorting tag for all
> processes (controller and engines) coming from a given invocation of
> iplucster.
>
> - 'con' or 'eng': tag to mark whether that log file is for a
> controller or an engine
>
> - HOST: host where that particular process is actually running.
>
> - PID2: PID of that particular process (controller or engine).
>
> This format seems to allow easy automatic organization, debugging and
> cleanup of logfiles, feel free to suggest improvements.
>
> Cheers,

Flávio Codeço Coelho
registered Linux user # 386432