[IPython-user] User opinions needed: ipmagic, ipsystem etc. versus _ip.magic, _ip.system

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 10:48:10 CST 2006

On 11/22/06, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:

> We had a brief off-list discussion and thought the users should be
> queried about this:
>
> Are the ip* functions important to you? There are arguments for
> removing them and providing only _ip.* equivalents (_ip.magic,
> _ip.system etc.). One such argument is cleaning up the global
> namespace, other is "only one way to do it".
>
> Do you think it's ok to replace ip* functions with ones that give
> deprecation warning and direct you to use the equivalent _ip.*
> function? Or does using _ip.* functions directly feel bulkier or
> messier to you?
>
> You can see what is available in _ip namespace by typing _ip. and
> pressing tab, obviously.

Since there have been no complaints, we can probably assume that
people don't care either way. Therefore, I propose that the following
will take place:

- I'll replace ipmagic, ipsystem, ipalias with functions that warn
about the deprecation of these functions and instruct the user to use
_ip.magic etc. instead.

- I'll remove ipconfig and %config altogether.