[IPython-user] Launching background processes

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 00:55:03 CST 2006

On 11/28/06, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Look at the signal module, and let us know how far you get :)
>
> I'm a bit worried about this signal handling in concert with threads.
> At first we should probably play with signals only on single threaded
> IPython.

At first and unfortunately at last.  Signals and threads in python is
pretty much a dead end; ask me how much time I've burnt on that trying
to get Ctrl-C to interrupt a computation in the gui multithreaded
IPythons used for interactive matplotlib plotting with any toolkit
other than Tk.  It sucks.  Big time.

Basically, Python won't let you send an asynchronous signal reliably
across threads even on *nix, let alone on win32.