[IPython-user] Install several parallel versions of ipython (different python interpreters)

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 11:09:20 CDT 2006

On 10/6/06, David Cournapeau <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>     I am using ipython as my python interpreter for numerical work, and
> ipython is really great.
>
>     I would like to know if there is an easy way to install parallel
> versions of ipython ? Actually, I would like to be able to use ipython
> with python 2.4 which is the default on my machine, and with python2.5
> (compiled by hand); is changing the python interpreter in the ipython
> script the only required change ? (I was thinking about having ipython
> with the default interpreter and ipython2.5 using the python2.5
> interpreter) ?

Since I'm trying to be a good wiki boy, I decided to answer your
question in our newly inaugurated FAQ page for IPython, something we
should have had long ago:

http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/FAQ

Congratulations for the first contribution :)

And to all users: this is a wiki, so feel free to add material,
clarify things, etc.  We also have a cookbook, where useful recipes
can be contributed:

http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/Cookbook

The line betwee a question and a recipe is obviously a fuzzy one, but
hopefully we'll find a good balance over time.  I think a good rule of
thumb is that FAQ entries should be relatively short and deal with
issues that users may trip on in normal usage, while recipes will be
longer and devoted to accomplishing special tasks.