[IPython-user] pysh "&"

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 12:08:53 CDT 2006

On 10/9/06, Ryan Krauss <ryanlists at gmail.com> wrote:

> How do I use pysh to send a command to the system and then return
> immediately?   Basically, I want to do the equivalent of putting an "
> &" at the end of the command in Linux.  I am using pysh to compile a
> latex document and want it to open the document in the yap viewer and
> then immediately return to the shell so I can leave yap open and
> recompile the document by calling latex again and again.

It's not implemented currently.

I think we *should* have pseudo-proper job control, but for
portability it would imply using "subprocess" module (and hence impose
python 2.4 requirement).

Here's a thought:

[~]|93> longtask foo bar &
Spawning new job, handle is j93

That is, appending & to the command line would spawn a process control
object j93 that would provide methods to kill the process, read the
output, write to input, return the control to terminal etc.