[IPython-user] pysh "&"

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 13:00:49 CDT 2006

On 10/9/06, Ryan Krauss <ryanlists at gmail.com> wrote:
> How do I use pysh to send a command to the system and then return
> immediately?   Basically, I want to do the equivalent of putting an "
> &" at the end of the command in Linux.  I am using pysh to compile a
> latex document and want it to open the document in the yap viewer and
> then immediately return to the shell so I can leave yap open and
> recompile the document by calling latex again and again.

It's worth noting that while it doesn't have /real/ job control, since
pysh does little more than forwarding the call to an underlying sh
process, this works fine (at least in *nix):

planck[~]> ipython -p sh
Py 2.3.4 (#1, Feb  2 2005, 12:11:53)  IPy 0.7.3.svn
[~]|1> rehash
[~]|2> acroread joule_madness_q4.pdf &
[~]|3> print 'my shell is working...'
my shell is working...

So for simple things, foo & already works.  And Ville's ideas may
obviously implement something more sophisticated.