[IPython-user] Tweaking IPython for startup speed

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 22:37:11 CDT 2006

On 10/15/06, Ryan Krauss <ryanlists at gmail.com> wrote:
> I my opinion, the start up time in Windows seems a bit crazy at times
> (I would guess 30-45 seconds), but maybe my internal clock is less
> patient with Windows.  I am never happer to be there.
>
> Have I done something wrong?

Using windows in the first place? ;-)

Jokes aside, I honestly have no idea: I just tried running it inside
my Vmware WinXP image, and indeed it took positively forever to start.
 The plain python shell is also kind of slow to start there, but not
nearly as much.

But this VMware is tweaked to fetch my real unix $HOME over SAMBA on
the virtual network, and something is borked on that setup: access to
any file on that network is slower than dialup, when it should be
blazingly fast (it's an in-host network!).  I imagine on a real WinXP
box this should be a lot faster.

In summary: dunno.