[IPython-user] Tweaking IPython for startup speed

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 01:55:51 CDT 2006

On 10/16/06, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/16/06, Ryan Krauss <ryanlists at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I my opinion, the start up time in Windows seems a bit crazy at times
> > (I would guess 30-45 seconds), but maybe my internal clock is less
> > patient with Windows.  I am never happer to be there.
>
> It should not take that long; It should be well below 10 seconds. If
> you are using "pysh" profile, try switching to "sh" profile.

Could you please fix this?

longs[~]> ip -p pysh
exceptions.KeyError                                  Traceback (most
recent call last)

/home/fperez/<string>

/home/fperez/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/IPython/Extensions/InterpreterExec.py
    256
    257 # Remove %sc,%sx if present as aliases
--> 258 __IPYTHON__.magic_unalias('sc')
    259 __IPYTHON__.magic_unalias('sx')
    260

/home/fperez/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/IPython/Magic.py in
magic_unalias(self, parameter_s)
   2406         if aname in self.shell.alias_table:
   2407             del self.shell.alias_table[aname]
-> 2408         stored = self.db['stored_aliases']
   2409         if aname in stored:
   2410             print "Removing %stored alias",aname

/home/fperez/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/IPython/Extensions/pickleshare.py
in __getitem__(self, key)
     57             mtime = (fil.stat()[stat.ST_MTIME])
     58         except OSError:
---> 59             raise KeyError(key)
     60
     61         if fil in self.cache and mtime == self.cache[fil][1]:

KeyError: 'stored_aliases'
WARNING: Loading of IPython.Extensions.InterpreterExec failed.

It was broken by [1824], as best I can tell.

I'm still using pysh instead of sh because sh still doesn't handle
certain things correctly.

cheers,