[IPython-user] IPython/wxPython crash on ppc Mac OS X 10.4.8

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Mon Oct 30 14:50:47 CST 2006

On Oct 30, 2006, at 11:56 , Ville M. Vainio wrote:

> On 10/30/06, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm sending this to the list as well, because I'm pretty sure that
>> it's a problem related to the Mac build of Python which others have
>> seen (I remember Brian Granger showing it to me a few months ago).
>> Since I don't remember the details, hopefully one of the Mac users
>> will be able to fill us in.
>
> Yeah, the mac readline (or some version of it) is screwed. Search the
> mailing list archives for mac readline bus error if you are in a
> hurry.

I'm not sure when it began, but 10.4.8 is one of those afflicted with
a hosed version of readline.  It (readline) by default is really a
synonym for something called libedit.

Renaming/removing /usr/lib/readline.dylib seems to fix the problem.

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large
Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income