[IPython-user] IPython/wxPython crash on ppc Mac OS X 10.4.8

Michael Scarpa m.scarpa at uva.nl
Tue Oct 31 04:16:04 CST 2006

On 31 Oct, 2006, at 9:01, Ville M. Vainio wrote:

> On 10/31/06, Brian Granger <ellisonbg.net at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ah yes, I remember this one.  It is a bug in readline.  For a
>> temporary fix you can uncomment the following lines in your ipythonrc
>> file:
>>

>> # I also like to have the same functionality on the plain arrow
>> keys. If you'd
>> # rather have the arrows use all the history (and not just match
>> what you've
>> # typed so far), comment out or delete the next two lines.
>> #readline_parse_and_bind "\e[A": history-search-backward
>> #readline_parse_and_bind "\e[B": history-search-forward
>>
>> That fixes it for me - and most of readline will still work.
>
> That's interesting. We could automatically disable these features on
> mac ipython in Extensions/ipy_defaults.py, which is used if the user
> chooses not to install the ipythonrc files and upgrades with "%upgrade
> -nolegacy".

I am not entirely sure this would be a good idea.  I work on a Mac as
well (PowerPC) and never encountered this issue.  Maybe that's
because I don't use the Python installation that comes with MacOSX
but rather installed my own Python using DarwinPorts.  If someone
could give me more details on how to reproduce this, I would be
willing to test if I can reproduce this problem on my setup as well.
But from what I understand reading this thread, it is a problem
related to Apple's Python distribution or MacPython, but might not
apply to other distributions or a Python installation from source.

With kind regards,

Michael