[IPython-user] IPython/wxPython crash on ppc Mac OS X 10.4.8

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 08:34:10 CST 2006

On 10/31/06, Michael Scarpa <m.scarpa at uva.nl> wrote:

> I just tried this on my setup (the mentioned lines in ipythonrc are
> active, I checked), and I could not get Python to crash.  I believe
> it comes from the fact that when installing Python through
> DarwinPorts, readline gets installed as well (as a dependency),
> meaning that the default readline from Apple is not used.  This might
> explain why this error does not occur.  I recall that also Fink is
> set up like this, so people who install Python using either will most
> likely have their own readline, which (I presume) does not suffer
> from above bug/problem.

Yes, I think the bug only exists in apple's own library, and I don't
know if it's there in all versions.

> The question here would be, how to detect whether one is using Python/
> readline from Apple or their own, but I guess you guys know more
> about that than I do.  Just being curious here.

If a Mac user is interested in coming up with the patches, they'll be welcome :)

But I think this is one of those high work/low reward things, and just
having this thread in the archives with Brian's solution and the
explanation may be enough for most.    I've also added an entry to the
FAQ:

http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/FAQ

Feel free to edit it with more details as needed.