[IPython-user] IPython/wxPython crash on ppc Mac OS X 10.4.8

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 11:08:16 CST 2006

The problem is not with Apple's readline, because Apples readline
doesn't even exist as far as Python knows::

bgranger at pinch> python2.3
Python 2.3.5 (#1, Jan 13 2006, 20:13:11)
>>> import readline
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named readline

The problem that I have observed is with the readline that is included
with the official Python for Mac binary at python.org.  I see the
error in both ipython and python, so the bug is in readline.  This
build includes its own version of readline and that version is the one
that has the problem.  I have the 2.4.3 build from April 7.  I haven't
tried the 2.5 build.  Yet.

I agres with Fernando that we should not disable these lines in the
ipythonrc file - instead a few words about this on the wiki is
probably the best approach.

Brian