[IPython-user] Custom command completers implemented in SVN

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 31 13:27:03 CST 2006

    Fernando> Because you'd asked for this feature, and I'd stalled
    Fernando> you :)

Oh yeah -- the specific feature I was requesting was for completions
on "run" and "cd" to inspect the cwd and complete on *.py files and
dirs respectively.  For this to work, the completer registry would be
better off taking a function rather than a static list.  Ville --
would it hard to support this in the current implementation

In [15]: def listdirs():
   ....:     return [f for f in os.listdir('.') if os.path.isdir(f)]
   ....:

In [16]: completer.register('cd', listdirs)

In [17]: import glob

In [18]: def listpy(): return glob.glob('*.py')
   ....:

In [19]: completer.register('run', listpy)

and so on....

This would be really useful, IMO.

JDH