[IPython-user] upgrade problem

Dave davbrow at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 00:57:26 CDT 2006

I tried using eggs easy_install  to upgrade ipython 0.7.1 to 0.7.2 (on
OS X).  I'm seeing this error message now:

Error importing ipy_user_conf
exceptions.AttributeError                            Traceback (most
recent call last)

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/ipython-0.7.1-py2.4.egg/IPython/UserConfig/ipy_user_conf.py
     19 import os
     20
---> 21 o = ip.options()
     22 # autocall 1 ('smart') is default anyway, this is just an
     23 # example on how to set an option

AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'options'
WARNING: Loading of ipy_user_conf failed.

Python 2.4.3 (#1, Apr  7 2006, 10:54:33)

?       -> Introduction to IPython's features.
%magic  -> Information about IPython's 'magic' % functions.
help    -> Python's own help system.

  Welcome to pylab, a matplotlib-based Python environment.
  For more information, type 'help(pylab)'.

In [1]:

------------

it looks like ipython 0.7.2 is looking in a 0.7.1 directory for a
config file.  Does anyone have advice on how to fix this?

Also my config files in .ipython are of course for v0.7.1.  Are these
compatible with 0.7.2?  What's the best way to upgrade these?
Pointers to existing docs appreciated.

My reason for upgrading is for the improved command history.  Fairly
often on XP or on OS X my exit from ipython is due to a crash (from
python, pylab, scipy, a GUI, etc...).  When this happens the command
history is lost for all of the current session.  Does 0.7.2 support
keeping history across crashes?  If not it would be a very helpful
feature for me.  Even if the history was not completely current it
would still be nice to have it recorded up to the last few minutes or
so.

-- David