[IPython-user] upgrade problem

Dave davbrow at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 11:19:37 CDT 2006

On 9/4/06, Ville Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/5/06, Dave <davbrow at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > it looks like ipython 0.7.2 is looking in a 0.7.1 directory for a
> > config file.  Does anyone have advice on how to fix this?
> >
> > Also my config files in .ipython are of course for v0.7.1.  Are these
> > compatible with 0.7.2?  What's the best way to upgrade these?
>
> Run %upgrade and tell us how it goes. It should install
> ipy_user_conf.py in your ~/.ipython.

Thanks.  It mostly worked.  I still had the same basic error but the
path problem was fixed.  I deleted my old ipy_user_conf.py (as
instructed) and let %upgrade create a new one. It generated a diff the
first time it ran so I can review it to put back any important tweaks.

Would it be possible to add a config_file_version number setting in
the config file? Then ipython can check if the config file version is
compatible with the version running and otherwise give a clear warning
message and upgrade info (or patch it automatically in an ideal
world).  For less-experienced users the error specific error messages
don't identify the root cause or point to the handy %upgrade feature.

> > history is lost for all of the current session.  Does 0.7.2 support
> > keeping history across crashes?  If not it would be a very helpful
> > feature for me.  Even if the history was not completely current it
> > would still be nice to have it recorded up to the last few minutes or
> > so.
>
> Not at this very moment, it's only saved on exit (see iplib.py -
> atexit_operations()). It should be quite doable to install, say, a
> custom prompt hook (instructions in the wiki) that execute
> _ip.IP.savehist() every few minutes.
>
> (If you have no idea what I'm talking about let me know; my home
> machine is still broken ("motherboard is hard to find from importer
> blah blah") but I could spare a bit of work time to roll up an
> example).

Thanks for the offer, but actually this might be a good opportunity
for me to look a little deeper into ipython starting with the pointers
you have mentioned.  I'll let you know if I get completely lost.

-- David