[IPython-user] pysh

Ryan Krauss ryanlists at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 10:54:27 CDT 2006

In typical Krauss form, I have answered my own question by further
googling after I posted to the list.  Sorry for a bit of clutter.  The
problem is that googling just pysh turns up mainly stuff about an
abandoned sourceforge project.  Searching for pysh on the IPython site
(I love google site search), turns up:
http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/manual/node12.html
which answers most of my questions.

It seems like pysh could also be useful in Linux and could justify
that fact that I have refused to learn very much shell scripting.  Now
I can do lots of neat shell things with python.  Whenever I actually
needed some meaty shell script in the past, I would just write a
python script that can read and write from pipes and play nice with
other shell programs.

If I understand things correctly, aliases in pysh work exactly like
aliases in other IPython modes.  So, if I have
alias latex latex -src-specials %s
in some rc file, I just need to make sure that one is loaded by ipythonrc-pysh.

Is this correct?

I think pysh just saved me a lot of Cygwin pain.  (I won't know for
sure until I get back to campus and try it in my office computer).

Please clear up any misconceptions on my part.

Thanks,

Ryan