[IPython-user] -pylab -p scipy

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 14:22:08 CDT 2006

On 9/18/06, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/18/06, Ryan Krauss <ryanlists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Would it be possible/easy to have the windows installer add a shortcut
> > for running ipython with -pylab -p scipy options?  I am trying to
> > convert some of my students from Matlab and this one post install step
> > seems to cause some problems (I know it isn't asking much of them,
> > but...).  I am having them modify the target of the short cut on the
> > start menu for now.
>
> Yes, it's quite easy - just some make_shortcut() stuff in
> win32_manual_post_install.py. I guess we could have it in the next
> version, along with switching from "ipython -p pysh" to "ipython -p
> sh" (which is better than pysh).

We should probably schedule a release in a couple of weeks.  I have
some code in my working copy to fix issues with python 2.5, so it
would  be nice to make a release to coincide (or shortly after) py25,
for those living on the bleeding edge.

I've had a couple of issues with sh that pysh didn't have, but I don't
have them handy right now.  I'll send them to you (Ville) later so you
can fix them before actually making the transition.  I'm happy going
to sh, as long as it does everything pysh did (I'm still using pysh
because of those problems).