[IPython-user] win32 python 2.5 ipython install report - success!

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 14:34:15 CDT 2006

I installed the recently released ipython on my "fresh" machine (I'm
essentially starting everything from scratch, w/ winxp; for some
reason Ubuntu "dapper" crashes all the time on my main machine).

I decided to install the just released python 2.5 directly, and resume
ipython development there. I did

> svn co http://svn.python.org/projects/sandbox/trunk/setuptools

and installed setuptools by running "setup.py install" (setuptools
isn't yet available via any other route to py 2.5).

After that, I did

> easy_install pyreadline

and

> easy_install ipython==dev

(of course w/ all the necessary PATH adjustments, esp.
\python25\scripts has to be there)

and voila', running ipython on console starts ipython properly, with
readline support. No need to install anything else (ctypes,
pywin32...).