[IPython-user] tab completion not working in windows

Jörgen Stenarson jorgen.stenarson at bostream.nu
Sat Sep 23 07:47:49 CDT 2006

Ryan Krauss skrev:
> I have encouraged my students (mechanical engineers) to use
> IPython/Enthought Python as a replacement for Matlab.  Some are trying
> it with mixed success.  I have one student who says that tab
> completion is not working for him.  Does tab completion in IPython
> depend at all on settings for DOS windows or other registry entries
> for windows?  How do I help him trouble shoot this problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ryan

As far as I can see from enthoughts page on their distribution it should
contain pyreadline 1.3 (verfify by import pyreadline). As far as I know
pyreadline should be activated automatically by ipython with no other
settings necessary (at least when using the default settings). I have
not used the enthought distribution so I do not know what their defaults
are.

There are no registry settings for ipython or pyreadline, only text
configuration files. It should work  in a standard dos window or windows
power shell(Monad). I'm not sure if it works in a cygwin window and it
will most likely not work from other kinds of console windows since
pyreadline assumes a "dos" console.

/Jörgen