[IPython-user] Fwd: Is IPython a valid replacement of cmd.exe?

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 03:39:14 CDT 2006

> > Hi all. I would like to know if it could be possible to write a valid
> > replacement of the Windows command prompt (cmd.exe) by using IPython
> > framework.

I don't think you need to. "Console: Tabbed command prompt for
Windows" page says that "You can run any Windows command line app in
its own tab, e.g Windows PowerShell (Monad), Cygwin, your favorite
programming language's interactive prompt, or even Zork, and you can
set each one up with its own keyboard shortcut.". Just run "ipython -p
sh" in that program and you're set.