[IPython-user] ipython 0.7.3 vs. django (python 2.5)

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Apr 2 14:18:57 CDT 2007

Ville M. Vainio wrote:
> On 4/1/07, Patricio Olivares <polivare@lilyphilia.net> wrote:
>
>> All of this on ubuntu dapper. After entering ipython and doing "import
>> <TAB>" or "from <TAB>" I got the traceback.
>>
>> Django has some weird setting requirements so maybe there's a way
>> to exclude it from the scanning?
>
> Seeing how the ipython custom completer for import is implemented in
> ipy_stock_completers.py, it may be feasible to implement a
> 'django-profile' that changes how the completions are shows.

No, that's not the problem. The problem is that *any* time a completion is run
on an import statement, that completer uses a routine that imports *every*
package. Django has some magic and requires being in a specific environment, and
an exception gets raised on every attempted import completion.

> Or
> disables the completer completely.

I made a my_completers.py file that excludes this particular completer. I would
argue that it should be disabled by default until it gets rewritten such that it
doesn't have this enormous side effect.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."