[IPython-user] Error when importing module into ipython

John Pye john.pye@student.unsw.edu...
Tue Apr 3 20:11:41 CDT 2007

Fernando Perez wrote:
> interactive debugger right where the crash occurred.  You can try then
> looking at the _freesteam object to study it and see if it looks OK.
> You might be picking one from the wrong directory, I don't know.
Following your suggestion, I found that typing

import _freesteam
_freesteam.__file__

showed me that to my surprise IPython was pulling in a stray, old, DLL
in my c:\Python24\scripts directory. That directory is not in my vanilla
Python console search python.

The reason for the difference in search path appears to be due to the
fact that IPython is launched by the following command which has the
effect of adding c:\Python24\scripts to PYTHONPATH:

C:\Python24\python.exe C:\Python24\scripts\ipython

Cheers
JP

--
John Pye
Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering