[IPython-user] Testers requested - 0.7.4.rc1, with async cross-thread exceptions

Stefan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Sat Apr 7 16:54:00 CDT 2007

On Sat, Apr 07, 2007 at 03:25:21PM -0600, Fernando Perez wrote:
> On 4/7/07, Stefan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za> wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 07, 2007 at 02:18:43PM +0200, Nicolas Pernetty wrote:
> > > 3) This line in iplib.py (line 1983) :
> > > line = raw_input_original(prompt).decode(sys.stdin.encoding)
> > > is breaking IPython in Xemacs on Windows XP because there is no
> > > sys.stdin.encoding :
> > > In [1]: import sys
> > > In [2]: print sys.stdin.encoding
> > > None
> >
> > That should be
> >
> > line = raw_input_original(prompt).decode(sys.stdin.encoding or 'ascii')
>
> Why default to 'ascii' rather than 'UTF-8'?  I'm honestly asking:
> while I've picked up a bit about Unicode recently, I'm not really sure
> on what safe defaults for cases like this would be...

My thinking was that, if sys.stdin.encoding is not specified, the user
might not have MULE (Multi-Lingual XEmacs) installed, and so does not
have the capability to use UTF-8.  Maybe that's completely off the
mark -- I don't know if Emacs requires MULE to handle UTF-8.

If we really want to know, we can always ask Stephen (at xemacs dot
org) Turnbull.

Cheers
Stéfan