[IPython-user] problems installing IPython on OS 10.4

Jerome Fung jf1201@gmail....
Wed Aug 8 16:21:34 CDT 2007

Hello,

I have been having trouble getting ipython to work on a PowerPC iBook
running OS 10.4.10.  I initially installed Python 2.5.1 for Mac using the
universal installer download from www.python.org.  Entering
/usr/local/bin/python at the X11 xterm command line allows me to start up
Python 2.5.1, rather than the older version that comes with OS X.

I then proceeded to install the SciPy Superpack for Python 2.5 (PowerPC).
This presumably includes IPython, but I was unable to start IPython from the
command line.  After this, I tried downloading ipython-0.8.1.tar.gz,
unzipped the file, changed directories, and entered

/usr/local/bin/python setup.py build

Unfortunately, this was not successful in getting IPython to work.  From my
home directory and x11's default bash shell, simply entering "ipython" or
variants thereof gives a "command not found" error.  When I try
"/usr/local/bin/IPython", I get the following:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/IPython", line 5, in <module>
    from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
ImportError: No module named pkg_resources

I should note that in the directory "/usr/local/bin" there is a file called
"ipython"; its permissions allow it to be globally executable.

Finally, from within Python 2.5.1, I can succesfully "import IPython".
Typing "IPython" at the Python prompt just gives

<module 'IPython' from
'/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/IPython/__init__.pyc'>

Any thoughts as to what might be problematic and what I can do?  Thank you
very much for your assistance, as I am completely new to Python and not very
experienced with the Unix underpinnings of OS X.

Sincerely,
Jerome F.