[IPython-user] problems installing IPython on OS 10.4

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Wed Aug 8 16:30:02 CDT 2007

On 8/8/07, Jerome Fung <jf1201@gmail.com> wrote:

> command line.  After this, I tried downloading ipython-0.8.1.tar.gz,
> unzipped the file, changed directories, and entered
>
>  /usr/local/bin/python setup.py build
>
> Unfortunately, this was not successful in getting IPython to work.  From my
> home directory and x11's default bash shell, simply entering "ipython" or
> variants thereof gives a "command not found" error.  When I try
> "/usr/local/bin/IPython", I get the following:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/bin/IPython", line 5, in <module>
>     from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
> ImportError: No module named pkg_resources

You need to have setuptools installed for this to work (pkg_resources
comes there).

> Any thoughts as to what might be problematic and what I can do?  Thank you
> very much for your assistance, as I am completely new to Python and not very
> experienced with the Unix underpinnings of OS X.

The simplest thing you can do (and the way I always run ipython) is
the old win/dos software packing:

just extracting a source package (svn snapshot, relled src package
etc.), going to it's directory at running "pythin ipython.py" will
work, and is as simple and magaeable as it gets.