[IPython-user] problems installing IPython on OS 10.4

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Aug 8 16:39:13 CDT 2007

On 8/8/07, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/8/07, Jerome Fung <jf1201@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > command line.  After this, I tried downloading ipython-0.8.1.tar.gz,
> > unzipped the file, changed directories, and entered
> >
> >  /usr/local/bin/python setup.py build
                                    ^^^^^
                                    ERROR

The normal source install in unix is:

/usr/local/bin/python setup.py install

You used 'build' instead of 'install', which is where I suspect your
problems are coming from.  The install command will put the ipython
runnable scripts in /usr/local/bin as expected, as well as docs under
/usr/local/share/doc, etc.

That's the normal way of doing source-based installs of any Python
package, and we'll always support it, since it's the one described by
all the Python documentation and the underlying distutils machinery.

> > Unfortunately, this was not successful in getting IPython to work.  From my
> > home directory and x11's default bash shell, simply entering "ipython" or
> > variants thereof gives a "command not found" error.  When I try
> > "/usr/local/bin/IPython", I get the following:
> >
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "/usr/local/bin/IPython", line 5, in <module>
> >     from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
> > ImportError: No module named pkg_resources
>
> You need to have setuptools installed for this to work (pkg_resources
> comes there).

But where is the setuptools requirement coming from?  Is it us that
are adding that call?  I'm a bit lost here, because that stuff is not
in our code:

planck[ipython]> egrep -r pkg_res *
planck[ipython]>

We don't seem to be making that call from our source code, so I'd like
to know who is adding a hard setuptools dependency here.  Was it user
error, was it an install flag he used?

Or is Python2.5 now adding setuptools stuff by default?  Mmh...