[IPython-user] problems installing IPython on OS 10.4

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Wed Aug 8 16:56:40 CDT 2007

On 8/8/07, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> > You need to have setuptools installed for this to work (pkg_resources
> > comes there).
>
> But where is the setuptools requirement coming from?  Is it us that
> are adding that call?  I'm a bit lost here, because that stuff is not
> in our code:
>
> planck[ipython]> egrep -r pkg_res *
> planck[ipython]>
>

> We don't seem to be making that call from our source code, so I'd like
> to know who is adding a hard setuptools dependency here.  Was it user
> error, was it an install flag he used?

There is no setuptool dependency created by us. That file may be a
remnant of old, setuptools-installed ipython (or easy_installed
ipython, er whatever). The old ipython is probably installed as eggs
somewhere.

> Or is Python2.5 now adding setuptools stuff by default?  Mmh...

Nope (which is too bad).