[IPython-user] problems installing IPython on OS 10.4

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Aug 8 17:06:21 CDT 2007

On 8/8/07, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/8/07, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > You need to have setuptools installed for this to work (pkg_resources
> > > comes there).
> >
> > But where is the setuptools requirement coming from?  Is it us that
> > are adding that call?  I'm a bit lost here, because that stuff is not
> > in our code:
> >
> > planck[ipython]> egrep -r pkg_res *
> > planck[ipython]>
> >

> > We don't seem to be making that call from our source code, so I'd like
> > to know who is adding a hard setuptools dependency here.  Was it user
> > error, was it an install flag he used?
>
> There is no setuptool dependency created by us. That file may be a
> remnant of old, setuptools-installed ipython (or easy_installed
> ipython, er whatever). The old ipython is probably installed as eggs
> somewhere.

Ah, OK, thanks.  Since grep wasn't showing any such code coming from
us, I got confused.

> > Or is Python2.5 now adding setuptools stuff by default?  Mmh...
>
> Nope (which is too bad).

Well :)  A few weeks ago I had another run-in with that thing that
only reinforced my feelings that in certain environments (unix,
non-root, non-default location installations), that stuff is just not
really ready for prime time.  I know a lot of people like it
(including you, Brian, R. Kern and many others whose judgment I
greatly respect).  But it seems every time I try to use it, I manage
to find a way in which it breaks in incomprehensibly stupid ways.
After three or four of those, spread over several years, I've lost
patience with that thing.

One day we may even start using it in our core (I know Brian wants to)
but I'm holding for as long as we possibly can, in the hopes that
others will hit the same problems and will have the patience to get
them fixed first.

Obviously we'll continue to *support* it, I just want to hold on
*depending* on it until absolutely necessary.