[IPython-user] problems installing IPython on OS 10.4

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Aug 9 11:49:27 CDT 2007

On 8/9/07, Jerome Fung <jf1201@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your prompt reply to my inquiry yesterday.  I tried running
> /usr/local/bin/python setup.py install
>
> from the directory where ipython-0.8.1 was (my Desktop).  But no
> documentation files appeared in /usr/local/share/doc, and I still could not
> run IPython from /usr/local/bin.  I tried
>
> jeromes-ibook-g4:/usr/local/bin jerome$ /usr/local/bin/IPython
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/bin/IPython", line 5, in <module>
>     from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
> ImportError: No module named pkg_resources
>
> and got the same result as yesterday.  Also, trying /usr/local/bin/python
> IPython.py gave a "No such file or directory" error.  However, from the
> Desktop directory containing ipython-0.8.1, typing "python ipython.py" does
> start up IPython, but within the Mac's default Python 2.3 rather than Python
> 2.5.
>
> Also... do I need setuptools or not?  Thanks very much again.

No, as Ville explained, setuptools is NOT a dependency of ours.  It
looks like you have a stray install for some reason.

The following should 'just work':

1. Remove every trace of ipython you can find on your system.  Look
under /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages, and everywhere you can.
You seem to have stray copies installed, so let's clear them first.
In particular, remove that /usr/local/bin/IPython file that's giving
trouble.

/usr/local/bin/python setup.py install

Please copy the entire output of the install to a file and send it
back, in case we spot any problems.

Note that you may need to run the above as

sudo /usr/local/bin/python setup.py install

because this will try to write various files to /usr/local, and
normally (unless you've changed things) your normal user has no write
privileges there.

ps - keep the list on the replies.