[IPython-user] problems installing IPython on OS 10.4

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Aug 9 13:13:29 CDT 2007

Fernando Perez wrote:
> On 8/9/07, Jerome Fung <jf1201@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks again.  I believe I've now removed all ipython-related things from my
>> computer.  But there was one thing I wanted to point out before
>> reinstalling.  I looked for the directory
>>
>>  /usr/local/lib/python2.5/
>>
>> and it did not exist.  The site-packages directory I managed to find that
>> was clearly for Python 2.5 had the path
>>
>> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages
>>
>> This directory held some packages (namely, scipy) that I had previously
>> installed and successfully run from /usr/local/bin/python.  I'm wondering if
>> this is part of the problem, and if perhaps this directory needs to be
>> specified somehow during the ipython install?

You shouldn't, no. That should be the place where your packages go out-of-box.

> No, you mentioned initially that you were running from
> /usr/local/bin/python.  If that is true, you should have
>
> /usr/local/lib/python2.X/
>
> where X is the number of the python installed in /usr/local/bin, which
> you can see with
>
> /usr/local/bin/python -V
>

> The /Library/... is the Apple-supplied Python.

No, /System/Library/... contains the Apple-supplied Python. /Library/...
contains the (recommended) Python from python.org . It symlinks
/usr/local/bin/python, but site-packages is down in /Library/....

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco