[IPython-user] Problem doing svn co behind proxy

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sat Aug 11 14:01:58 CDT 2007

On 8/11/07, David Cournapeau <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Fernando Perez wrote:
> > On 8/10/07, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> One more reason to switch to mercurial some day ;-)
> >>

> > I really love hg, but that switch requires some infrastructure support
> > to preserve our Trac setup and SVN history, and none of that is easily
> > available at this moment, nor do I have the time to invest in it.
> >
> I don't know much hg, and certainly do not want to push anything, but
> just mention that bzr has support for svn, and it is quite good. I have
> never tried with ipython svn, but it works for numpy and scipy svn,
> which are arguably bigger, right ? bzr also serves directly in http. I
> don't know how feasable it would be, but maybe putting some ready only
> bzr repository synchronised with the svn would be possible ?
>
> I have some problems with proxy (my uni network has no DNS, everything
> is done through the proxy: great way to expose proxy bugs in softwares),
> and none with bzr.

Well, I have to admit that recenly I found bzr maddeningly slow.  I
used it with Gael V. while playing with some Envisage-related code,
and I couldn't believe how slow it was for simpmle things.  hg, on the
other hand, is nice and zippy.  I know bzr does some things better
than hg (it's stupid that hg can't serve out of a plain http
directory, for example), but the slowness would drive me ballistic in
day to day work.  I'm just too impatient to wait for a tool to make
tea and bake bread every time I ask it for a simple task.  hg was
written from day one to cope with something like the linux kernel, so
speed was a *design constraint* instead of the afterthought it is for
bzr.

So if we ever find the time to switch to a distributed VCS, it will be
either hg, or bzr only if they've fixed these problems.

I honestly just don't have *any* time to invest on this.  But if
anyone sends me a shell/python script that  does a sync of svn and
exposes it publicly over http, I'm perfectly happy to call it in the
nightly cron job that makes the ipython1 API docs and the SVN exports.