[IPython-user] Problem doing svn co behind proxy

Mon Aug 13 03:57:09 CDT 2007

Fernando Perez wrote:

> Well, I have to admit that recenly I found bzr maddeningly slow.  I
> used it with Gael V. while playing with some Envisage-related code,
> and I couldn't believe how slow it was for simpmle things.  hg, on the
> other hand, is nice and zippy.  I know bzr does some things better
> than hg (it's stupid that hg can't serve out of a plain http
> directory, for example), but the slowness would drive me ballistic in
> day to day work.  I'm just too impatient to wait for a tool to make
> tea and bake bread every time I ask it for a simple task.  hg was
> written from day one to cope with something like the linux kernel, so
> speed was a *design constraint* instead of the afterthought it is for
> bzr.

I don't know the size of envisage, but I know that bzr with numpy and
scipy, with the full history, is faster to get log and so on than svn
(this is of course due to network latency, but concretely, those are
useful advantages of DVCS). I tried both hg and bzr on big projects to
get an idea (kernel size), and I found both of them unusable for those
tree size (i.e. knowing which files changed takes more than 1-2 seconds,
commit are really slow, etc...).

Anyway, this is all moot without "hard numbers".  V. Vaino suggested a
script to use hg, I can try to do something for bzr on my side, and then
we can compare them and you can make the decision according to those
results . Would this be considered useful ? (again, I do not care about
bzr vs hg; I am more familiar with bzr, but I believe the advantages of
DVCS, specially for projects around scipy, to largely outweight any
difference between bzr and hg)

David