[IPython-user] Problem doing svn co behind proxy

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Aug 13 04:53:29 CDT 2007

On 8/13/07, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/11/07, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 8/10/07, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > One more reason to switch to mercurial some day ;-)
> >

> > I really love hg, but that switch requires some infrastructure support
> > to preserve our Trac setup and SVN history, and none of that is easily
> > available at this moment, nor do I have the time to invest in it.
>
> There is the hgsvn thing that preserves SVN history:
>
> http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/hgsvn

I seem to recall R. Kern mentioning something about having had
problems with this, it'd be good to hear from him.

> With that, you would do a
>
> hgimport http://ipython.scipy.org/svn/ipython/ipython/trunk
>
> And then, nightly run "hgpull".

In any case, this would be nice to have, so I installed it and gave it
a try, but:

ipython@scipy[dist]$ hgimportsvn
http://ipython.scipy.org/svn/ipython/ipython/trunk nightly_hg
* svn 'info' '--xml' 'http://ipython.scipy.org/svn/ipython/ipython/trunk'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/ipython/usr/bin/hgimportsvn", line 7, in ?
    sys.exit(
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/hgsvn/run/hgimportsvn.py", line 52, in main
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/hgsvn/svnclient.py", line 135, in
get_svn_info
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/hgsvn/common.py", line 173, in run_svn
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/hgsvn/common.py", line 117, in run_command
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/hgsvn/common.py", line 89, in
_run_raw_command
hgsvn.errors.ExternalCommandFailed: External program failed (return
code 1): svn 'info' '--xml'
'http://ipython.scipy.org/svn/ipython/ipython/trunk'
Subcommand 'info' doesn't accept option '--xml'
Type 'svn help info' for usage.

It seems to expect a newer version of the SVN client than is available
on scipy.org (which has the ancient 1.2 client)  Bummer.

I'm headed to scipy'07 later today and won't be able to really look at
any of this for a day or two, but I'll ask Robert (who I know uses hg
with their infrastructure) what his toolchain is.  We might be able to
get something going based on hg without me having to build an entire
set of parallel tools on scipy.org.