[IPython-user] changing shell for alias...

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Aug 17 11:12:12 CDT 2007

On 8/17/07, fred <fredmfp@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm reading the ipython doc,
> and I'm wondering if it is possible to change the shell for the alias.
> I use tcsh as my shell system and I would like to use its already
> existing alias.
>
> I made a grep about 'sh' in my .ipython dir, but found nothing relevant.
>
> Any clue ?

I'm afraid not easily.  I have the same exact problem, since I'm also
a tcsh user.  The problem is that os.system() seems to have the shell
it calls hardcoded, as far as I can see.   I can't find anything in
the docs that shows how to modify that.

We could switch over to the subprocess module and manually control the
shell spawning, but I don't have currently to do that.  Patches
welcome :)